Index to Sixth North Carolina State Troops Flags within the Collection at the North Carolina Museum of History

First Sgt. Rick Walton with the Reproduction Fisher Flag in 2011
Source: 20110625 Morrisville Living History-35.JPG

One day, way back in 2009, I was searching the North Carolina Museum of History Collections for something related to the Sixth North Carolina State Troops that  I was researching at the time. After visiting the museum and seeing an object related to the Sixth North Carolina State Troops, I was very excited to learn there was an online database that would tell me more about the object. 

Imagine my surprise and amazement when I discovered there were other Sixth North Carolina State Troops  items in the collection that were NOT on display. What a cool "secret" treasure trove of artifact descriptions and photos I had stumbled into.

From that day on I spent very free moment searching the collection. At first it was thrilling to find random items, but I soon started stumbling over myself and re-finding the same things again and again, so I organized my searches and recorded my results. 

Eventually my fishing expeditions started to come up dry, nothing new to find. I was as disappointed as an eight year old opening the last present on Christmas morning. The excitement was gone. But what about all the items I discovered? This was still a treasure trove of information. It was not necessarily meaningful at the time, but eventually many of these items were helpful to me in research projects and presentations.

This collection represents a massive research project that took me years to fully discover. I eventually collected all the results and created a webpage for the Sixth North Carolina State Troops website. 

To make sure this effort is preserved for the future, I have reviewed, updated and present it here. The following tables contain descriptions and links to all the currently known (by me) objects in the collection of the North Carolina Museum Of History relating to the 6th North Carolina State troops. Some of them have photographs and some have only descriptions

Want to search for something specific , try their search page below:

SEARCH the North Carolina Museum's Collections

OR browse through all the FLAGS I have found related to the 6th North Carolina State Troops below:

Instructions

Click on the Highlighted Title in each description box to go to the related page in the museum's database which contains more details and photographs (when available). Click on the photos to the right of the description to see an enlarged view. Please report any missing or broken llnks to me so I can reconnect them.

Flags related the the 6th N.C.S.T.

H.1915.4.5
REGIMENTAL FLAG (Fisher Flag)
BLUE SILK BROCADE SHAWL, OBVERSE IS EMBROIDERED IN WHITE "MAY 20TH 1775/ NORTH  CAROLINA/ DEEDS NOT WORDS/ MAY 20TH, 1861" REVERSE HAS EMBROIDERED NC STATE SEAL
Fisher Flag at NCMOH
H.19XX.330.174

North Carolina Grays COMPANY FLAG

Important Note: This Flag is the subject of the 2016-2023 Fund Raising Campaign that raised $14,000 to conserve  this flag for future generations. 

CO. I, BLUE FIELD W/ WHITE CANTON PAINTED NC STATE SEAL & "THE OLD NORTH STATE  FOREVER"; REVERSE READS "NORTH CAROLINA GRAYS, PRESENTED BY LADIES OF CEDAR  FORK"


H.1914.252.18 6th North Carolina State Troops REGIMENTAL BATTLE FLAG

Important Note: This is the Flag we raised $6458 to conserve

CSA BATTLE FLAG, W/O HONORS, CAPTURE NO. 357 STENCILED UPPER EDGE, MACHINE-SEWN, SEVERAL HOLES THROUGHOUT, STAR CUT OUT LOWER FLY, HOLES IN BORDER. CAPTURED AT SAILORS CREEK.

6th North Carolina State Troops Battle Flag
H.1914.252.34 REGIMENTAL BATTLE FLAG

CSA BATTLE FLAG, CAPTURE NO. "12" STAMPED ON REVERSE UPPER STAFF EDGE & FLY CORNER, HANDWRITTEN HISTORY ON STAFF EDGE, HAND-SEWN, SEVERAL HOLES THROUGHOUT

Note: Recent scholarship suggests that this flag may have been mis-identified. The 6th NCST battle flag Captured at Rappahannock Station is most likely a flag currently owned by Stratford Hall and on display in Gettysburg

mislabeled battle flag
H.1967.57.1 CENTENNIAL REPRODUCTION FLAG

REPRODUCTION CIVIL WAR FLAG OF THE N.C. SIXTH REGIMENT; USED BY THE REACTIVATED SIXTH in the 1960's.

Reproduction Fisher Flag

No comments:

Post a Comment

North Carolina Grays Flag Conserved for Future Generations

by Rick Walton, 6th  North Carolina State Troops Historian Saturday, September 7, 2024 - In February 2015, the membership of the Cedar Fork ...